History of Putbus Theatre
Count Karl Friedrich von Hahn-Neuhaus, a university friend of Prince Malte zu Putbus, converted a carriage shed, which was part of the old riding stables, into a venue for theatre productions.
J.C. Krampe opens the first play season as the first Stage Director of the Putbus Theatre with the first performances of “Die Friemauer”, a comedy by August von Kotzebue, and “Die Gouvernante”, a one-act play by Theodor Kömer. It is possible that some other performances took place in a small house built behind the Fürstenhof Hotel.
Start of the building of the theatre, the architect is unknown
Opening of the Putbus Playhouse. Opening programme: Prologue with reflections by Dr. Carl Schöne and the romantic play „Das Leben ein Traum oder Das Horoskop“ by Calderón de la Barca.
The theatre is modernised and construction defects are corrected under the supervision of Johann Gottfried Steinmeyer. The theatre gains its present appearance.
Prince Wilhelm zu Putbus (1833 – 1907) proposes to convert the theatre into a church. The district building official proves, however, that it would be cheaper to use the Kursalon for that purpose. Prince Wilhelm zu Putbus follows this advice.
The theatre is now fully illuminated with electricity.
Programme to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the town of Putbus: „Putbus Anno 1810“ – a times portrayal in four acts by Prof. Dr. V. Loebe.
1914 - 1918
The theatre is closed „due to the war“.
Theatre premises are used for food storage.
Extensive reconstruction and installation of modern facilities.
Re-opening with Lessing‘s play „Minna von Barnhelm“.
The building at Alleestraße 10 (the Fürstenhof Hotel) is converted into a residential house for the theatre.
1958 - 1960
Further improvement of technical facilities (installation of the cyclorama, modern lighting and central heating, expansion of the settings storeroom).
The theatres of Greifswald, Stralsund and Putbus are merged into “joined theatres”.
The millionth visitor since 1955 is welcomed in the Putbus Theatre.
The Greifswald Theatre receives its own independent company. The theatre troupe from Putbus is transferred to Stralsund. Putbus becomes a side stage of the Stralsund Theatre and supplements the play schedule with guest performances.
The Putbus Theatre celebrates its 150th anniversary.
The Putbus Theatre is returned into subordination of the District of Rügen.
Start of the renovation. The theatre continues its operation in the former House of National People’s Army (NVA) in Prora and later in the partially refurbished stables.
1992 - 1998
By 1998, the foundations and the roof brass were secured, the building now is held together by a ring beam, the roof is newly covered with slate, an air conditioning system is installed, the building acquires new lighting and sound facilities, the stage is renovated and a new grey curtain causes some arguments. New seating is arranged in the auditorium (244 seats) and a chandelier is installed. Hall decoration is reconstructed and the painting in the hall gallery and the upper foyer are restored. A new extension houses dressing rooms for artists, a storeroom and some offices.
On May 2nd the Putbus Theatre is re-opened and is now operated as an establishment of the District of Rügen. Theatre holidays are moved to the start of the year which enables uninterrupted operation in the summer.
The Putbus Theatre celebrates the 50th anniversary of the re-opening in 1953 with the Bremerhaven City Theatre guest performance of Lessing’s play “Minna von Barnhelm”.
The State District of Rügen enters business partnership with Theater Vorpommern Ltd. The Putbus Theatre, along with Greifswald and Stralsund, becomes a performance venue for this theatre union.
The CC-Film from Berlin shoots the pivotal scenes of the award-winning film “Wunderkinder” in the Putbus Theatre. Gudrun Landgrebe, Konstantin Wecker, Kai Wiesinger, Gedeon Burkhard also took part in the shooting.
Klaus Möbus, the long-standing theatre manager, hands over the operations to his successor, Peter Gestwa.
The theatre façade is painted, the wall frieze “The Muses” is renovated, a new video-window is installed in the theatre café.
The Putbus Theatre prepares to celebrate its 200th anniversary with numerous special performances and a festival week.